Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Starving-College-Student "Homemade" Salsa

*Chef's Note: These measurements are an estimate. Each batch of salsa is different for one reason or another--for instance, older onions aren't as potent but older jalapeños are probably able to burn off people's flesh--so you need to work with your ingredients to find out what jives. I suggest having a bag of chips handy to taste test your salsa during its creation.*

Prep: 20 minutes
Makes about 1 quart

2 16 oz cans diced tomatoes (drained if you want thicker salsa, but I never drain mine)
1TBS diced hot jalapeños (makes for a mediumish hot salsa for me but it burns Jenny's nose hairs. This is also a great way to use up the rest of the jalapeños from an earlier recipe.)
2 tsp chopped garlic (Jenny always wants MORE!)
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped finely
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 lime, squeezed (or is it squozen?)
2 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste (the tomatoes are pretty salty already, definitely add some pepper)
Any other things you feel compelled to put in there like chili powder or cumin or green onions--a lovely touch but unnecessary

Combine everything in a medium sized bowl and mix it up. If you have a blender handy and would like to make the bits a little smaller and give some body to the juice you can pulse it until you're satisfied. I wouldn't puree the whole thing--that turns everything into tomato slush. A hand blender works amazingly well because you can blend it directly in the bowl (I have pledged love to mine over and over and will probably continue to do so). Taste and add more ingredients until you are satisfied with the outcome.

Serve with your mom and tortilla chips, or in anything that requires salsa.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Ooh, I love SALSA! Sadly, my husband hates tomatoes unless they are pureed. But maybe I will just make a batch for my sweet self and devour the whole thing without him!

Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with in valuable information... Regards